[rain1 at airmail dot cc] Delete abortion joke

Rey Tucker rey@reytucker.us
Tue May 8 15:49:00 GMT 2018

Hi there!

I’m not on the list (and would rather not spend the time hand-jamming headers
to keep this at its proper place in the thread), but I do have a response to
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-05/msg00196.html (posted
Tue, 8 May 2018 00:29:08 +0300 by "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki at gmail dot com>)

> So in this discussion we should watch for any bias. How many women have
> spoken up? When the actual experience of a woman has been brought up, have
> we paid all due attention? Etc.

Hi, woman here.

The original joke is neither funny nor appropriate, and I fully support its
removal.  Don’t worry, I’m not “triggered” by it, and I’m not going to go home
and cry or anything like that.  But I do understand the message that Dr.
Stallman and Mr. Oliva are conveying by steadfastly refusing to accept what
the community is saying.

The message I get from this isn’t “censorship is bad” or “reproductive health
care is a right” or even “the government shouldn’t interfere in a person’s
right to do what they and their doctor deem necessary.”  The message I get
from this is “we think abortion is funny and we’ll fight to the end for our
right to joke about it.”

As it turns out, abortion isn’t funny.  I’d recommend starting here to learn
more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

You want to make a stand for health care rights and against the government’s
interference in them?  Great.  I’d welcome a statement from the FSF, posted in
a place that isn’t deep in the bowels of some difficult-to-find technical
documentation.

You want to crack a joke about how abort() reminds you of abortion?  In the
official documentation for arguably the most popular implementation of
abort()?  No.  Just, no.  It’s a serious matter, literally life-or-death in
some circumstances, but it is always life-changing.

I would bolster this with my credentials as a part of the glibc community, but
history is littered with the ruined husks of tech careers of the women who dared
to challenge the opinions of men, and I really need to pay my rent and finish
a release.

Thanks,

--
Rey Tucker (she/her)