[RFC] Lock elision implementation guidelines
Dominik Vogt
vogt@linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 07:49:00 GMT 2013
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 04:07:26PM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Dominik Vogt <vogt@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
> >
> > The attached program suffers from a massive performance loss
> > caused by lock elision.
>
> FWIW with TSX the difference between elision/no elision for your
> test is within the measurement inaccuracy.
It probably depends on the hardware implementation details of the
HTM system. The idea of the test program was to "break" a HTM
that aborts a transaction that writes a memory cell if that cell
is read afterwards from another transaction or outside a
transaction. This is the case for the zEC12, but I don't know the
details of TSX very well, and I only have access to a
z/architecture machine. Is there any document available where I
can look up the TSX implementation details?
(And although the test program does suffer from a substantial
slowdown on the zEC12, the explanation for that might be different
from what I thought.)
Ciao
Dominik ^_^ ^_^
--
Dominik Vogt
IBM Germany
More information about the Libc-alpha
mailing list