readline rebase 5.1->6.2?

Tom Tromey
Fri Apr 1 14:19:00 GMT 2011

>>>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <> writes:

Eli> I compared readline-6.2 with our local changes since 5.1, and I see
Eli> that the changes below are not in 6.2.  I only paid attention to
Eli> DJGPP/MSDOS-specific patches and to MinGW-specific patches, because
Eli> Jan seemed to have covered the rest.  (One of the MinGW-specific
Eli> patches has a comment saying the underlying problem should be fixed in
Eli> readline 5.2, but I don't know what is the problem, so I couldn't
Eli> check whether it is indeed fixed.)

Eli> The question is, what should we do about these patches?  Submitting
Eli> them to upstream readline would be the best course (assuming the
Eli> readline maintainer is willing to include them), but that means we
Eli> will have to either wait for the next readline release or keep our
Eli> local patches for the time being.

Yes, submit them.  It is ok if it takes a while for the new readline to
reach our tree.  The result can't be worse than our current situation.

We don't necessarily have to wait for the upstream maintainer to do a
new release.  If he accepts the patches we can import 6.2 and keep them,
to be deleted when we import the subsequent release.


More information about the Gdb mailing list