FW: [Gdb-discuss] Style Conventions for Documentation?

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Wed Jun 9 19:33:00 GMT 2004

> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:27:29 -0400
> From: "Mann, Benjamin (Jr)" <ben.mann@hp.com>
>
> Can you help me out?  I am looking for style convention information used
> in the GNU documentation, if such guidelines exist.

For general guidelines, see the Texinfo manual and the standards.texi
manual (be sure to find the latest version from the GNU FTP site).

> Because there have been many contributors to the documentation (from
> many companies and with different points of view), many styles are
> implemented for similar items.  For example, sometimes command
> options are in single quotes, sometimes not.

Could you please give a concrete example or two?  I'm not sure I
understand the context.

> Or lead-ins to lists or code examples sometimes end with a colon,
> sometimes with no punctuation, and sometimes with a period.

This depends on the specifics of the text, but again, please provide
an example.

> As an editor I value consistency (among other things like clear
> writing, conciseness, and so forth)

Same here.