*** [ser-tcp.o] Error 1 on alpha!

Andrew Cagney ac131313@ges.redhat.com
Wed Jun 26 20:28:00 GMT 2002

> Hello,
> I agree it is not caused by the patch, but not many people test their
> patches on alpha.
> We download from cvs every day and build this.  We have a stable build
> system.  I can give you a cvs snapshot of when we took the source code from
> cvs if you'd like, and I can also provide any other information about the
> host machine upon request.

Would you have a time for the last successful build?

> I have all of the build logs available too if you'd like to see them got to:
> for alpha goto:
> ftp://alpha9.crl.dec.com/pub/autobuild/results/alpha6/basic-gcc_2.95.3/nativ
> e/toolchain/20020622-05:21:38-F/
> and click on the X-configure.blog log to see the configuration,and the
> X-make.blog for the compilation error
>
> to see alpha daily builds goto:
> http://handhelds.org/projects/toolchain/autobuild/build-results.php3

I suspect that the unfortunate reality is that someone is going to have
to roll up their sleeves and try to build GDB while logged into an Alpha
GNU/Linux system.  Only that way can the look at the relevant headers
and figure out why things are going wrong.  ser-*.c is pretty generic so
I'm puzzled as to why that doesn't build.

Anyway this:

> /mnt/buildsys/source/toolchain/gdb/ser-tcp.c: In function `net_open':
> /mnt/buildsys/source/toolchain/gdb/ser-tcp.c:67: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncmp'
> /mnt/buildsys/source/toolchain/gdb/ser-tcp.c:81: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncpy'
> /mnt/buildsys/source/toolchain/gdb/ser-tcp.c:83: warning: implicit declaration of function `atoi'

suggests that something is skewiff.  ser-tcp.c unconditionally includes
"gdb_string.h" and that pulls in either <string.h> or <strings.h> so
should have those declarations visible?

Hmm, check the generated config.h for something strange.

Andrew