gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

James Cownie jcownie@etnus.com
Thu Sep 7 01:55:00 GMT 2000

Mark Kettenis wrote :-
  I'm not sure whether the debug registers are
  per-thread or per-VM-space in Linux.  I'll probably need to look into
  the kernel source.

To save you the time, they are per-thread, just like all the
other process' registers.

They are conceptually saved and restored on process scheduling
events (which for linuxthreads is the same thing as thread
scheduling events, since linuxthreads _are_ processes as far as
the scheduler is concerned).

The bug I mentioned previously is exactly that they're getting
cleared by the kernel and then not getting restored on return
to user space, leaving them wrong until the next reschedule :-(

--
-- Jim
James Cownie