Problems with "make install"

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Fri Mar 24 00:30:00 GMT 2000


Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> I'm testing the "make install" targets, and I see several problems
> which look like bugs.
> 
> 1) gdb/Makefile doesn't seem to run mkinstalldirs to create some of
> the directories, such as ${prefix}/bin and ${prefix}/man.  Similarly,
> gdb/doc/Makefile doesn't create ${prefix}/info and ${prefix}/html.
> Why is that?

I'd assume that they are missing.

> 2) Why doesn't "make install" install the Info docs?  For that matter,
> why doesn't "make" doesn't "make info"?  One needs to say "make info"
> and "make install-info" to get them, which is different from all the
> other GNU project I've seen.

For this one, its been that way as long as I can remember.  It stops the
dependency on ``makeinfo'' which some installations may not have.

> 3) The top-level Makefile.in says this:
> 
>   INSTALL = $(SHELL) $$s/install-sh -c

(The one that annoys me is CFLAGS :-)
I don't have an easy solution. Sorry.

	Andrew


More information about the Gdb mailing list