Debugging dynamically linked executables

Stan Shebs shebs@cygnus.com
Mon Jun 7 17:20:00 GMT 1999

   Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 16:45:39 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>

   AFAICT it is not possible to make gdb stop at the first instruction
   that will be executed for a dynamically linked executable (which will
   probably be the first instruction of the dynamic linker).

   [...]

   I was thinking about adding an option (suggested name
   stop-on-startup), so that people could say "set stop-on-startup 1".

   Would this be acceptable?

I read this, and got a sense of deja' vu (not dejagnu :-) ) about
having discussed this with Richard Henderson and Ulrich Drepper at
some point, in connection with debugging dynamic loaders...

In any case, the idea of a stop-on-startup option seems reasonable
to me.  Since it's not a normal user option, you would probably want
to put it into the "obscure" class, perhaps even make it a maintenance
command.

							Stan