gdb-980122 and breakpoints

Wolfgang Rupprecht wolfgang@wsrcc.com
Thu Feb 12 14:10:00 GMT 1998

This is observed on a gdb-980122 ( --host=i386-unknown-netbsd1.3
--target=powerpc-foo-eabi)

Breakpoint 1, _start () at vectors.s:34
Current language:  auto; currently asm
(gdb) i b
Num Type           Disp Enb Address    What
1   breakpoint     keep y   0x0004017c  <_start+8 at vectors.s:34>
	breakpoint already hit 1 time
2   breakpoint     keep y   0x00042940 in mainprog at cold.c:14
(gdb) p _start
$2 = {<text variable, no debug info>} 0x40174 <_start at vectors.s:32>
(gdb) b _start
Note: breakpoint 1 also set at pc 0x4017c.
Breakpoint 3 at 0x4017c
(gdb)

Notice start is at 0x40174, yet gdb insists on putting the breakpoint
at 0x4017c .  This may well be the same breakpt lossage as previously
reported.  If so, please add my vote for being able to breakpoint
arbitrary textspace addresses.

BTW.  Is there an automatic tool for adding stabs to assembly files so
one can add line numbers (like gcc -g would do for C code.)  I'm using
a perl script that I hacked together to do this now, but I can't
imagine I'm the only person that likes to see their source code step
by, even if it happens to be assembly.  The comments in the file are
still useful to see as one single steps.

Here is what I'm using right now.  Its not pretty and I might well be
misunderstanding the full syntax for gcc's stabs, but it seems to do
enough to let me single step.
	 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/asmstabs.txt

-wolfgang