bfd assertion bug found

Ian Lance Taylor ian@cygnus.com
Mon Nov 27 23:04:00 GMT 1995

   Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 23:37:29 -0500
   From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>

   It seems that the linker interprets arguments differently in 2.6,
   if I specify '-N' to the linker in 2.5.2 it produces a static final
   object, in 2.6 it sets config.dynamic_link to true.  This is what
   causes trouble when relocations are being scanned.

It sounds like a bug that -N does not cause a static link.  However, I
do not understand how it could produce the symptoms you are reporting.
I have no trouble doing a dynamic link with -N--the final output does
not run, since the dynamic information is misplaced, but the link does
succeed without any assertion errors.  I think you must be seeing two
different problems.

Ian