bfd assertion bug found

David S. Miller davem@caip.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 28 00:08:00 GMT 1995

   Date: Tue, 28 Nov 95 02:04:04 EST
   From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com>
   Cc: gas2@cygnus.com

      Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 23:37:29 -0500
      From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>

      It seems that the linker interprets arguments differently in 2.6,
      if I specify '-N' to the linker in 2.5.2 it produces a static final
      object, in 2.6 it sets config.dynamic_link to true.  This is what
      causes trouble when relocations are being scanned.

   It sounds like a bug that -N does not cause a static link.  However, I
   do not understand how it could produce the symptoms you are reporting.
   I have no trouble doing a dynamic link with -N--the final output does
   not run, since the dynamic information is misplaced, but the link does
   succeed without any assertion errors.  I think you must be seeing two
   different problems.

And whats even stranger is that I used binutils-2.6 until today with
no problems, but I made quite some extensive changes to my sources
before I did the first build which failed, I must be tickling an
obscure bug of some sort.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu