An ld bug?

David S. Miller davem@caip.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:43:00 GMT 1995

   From: hjl@nynexst.com (H.J. Lu)
   Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 11:20:49 EDT

   >From my Solaris 2.3 linker manual, on page 12 regarding "Archive
   Processing", it says the link-editor will extract a relocatable object
   from an archive if it contains a data symbol definition that
   satisfies a common symbol definition.

   I think that makes sense. Maybe it has been changed in Solaris 2.4/2.5.

The linker provided with the new beta solaris2.5 SUNWspro C4.0 gives
the elf behavior you are expecting where only referenced objects get
extracted from an archive, for what it's worth...

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu