problems with ld from binutils 2.5.2l.20

Richard Stallman rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Mon Sep 11 13:05:00 GMT 1995

    Support you run
	ld -Lfoo -lfoo -Lbar -lbar
    The proposed change appears to argue that the -Lbar should not apply
    to the -lfoo.  However, that only matters if foo/libfoo.a does not
    exist.

That is true.

What this shows is that even if the order of options were not rearranged,
the -L feature is insufficient for controlling which libraries are used,
for the reason that it can only add to the end of the search list.

So I guess we might as well not change this unless/until we also make
it powerful enough to alter the search list in more flexible ways.
I don't know of an urgent need to do that.