problems with ld from binutils 2.5.2l.20

H.J. Lu hjl@nynexst.com
Thu Aug 3 06:53:00 GMT 1995

>  > For the GNU linker, -L applies to all -l's.
>
> This behavior is wrong. First, it makes no sense, since the order of
> -l's is significant, and second, it makes it impossible to control
> which copies of which libraries are linked with, which could be
> significant.

The problem is twofold:

1. gcc will re-arrange the order of -L's and -l's. It puts -L's ahead of
   -l's.
2. One -L list is used fo all libraries in the linker.

We have to change both gcc and ld to do the "right" thing.

--
H.J. Lu
NYNEX Science and Technology, Inc.			hjl@nynexst.com