PATCH: PR27783: debuginfod: fetch default DEBUGINFOD_URLS from systemwide file

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Wed May 5 14:41:04 GMT 2021

Hi Frank,

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 09:05:42AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler via Elfutils-devel wrote:
> > [...] But I think that is the nice things about using the
> > environment variable to indicate debuginfod-client should be used in
> > a specific environment. [...]
>
> This is only a way of making the default more of an opt-out than an
> opt-in, and put it into a -single- systemwide spot (instead of two
> profile.* files plus all the opt-in systemd unit files).  A daemon
> -disinterested- in participating could set the same env var to be an
> empty string.

But I think an interactive user environment is different from a
standalone running daemon environment. So I think it makes sense they
might use diffent opt-in/out strategies.

> > Also some distros already seem to rely on the profile files, so
> > removing them now seems like a bad idea.
>
> Well, nothing stops them from continuing to ship the same files, they
> don't need to come from elfutils upstream.
>
> Anyway all that said, I'm neutral on this change.  Any other opinions?

It is really a distro decission I guess. How do different distros
handle this?

Cheers,