cat /proc/partitions shows only devices, not partitions

Hashim Aziz hashaziz@hotmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:36:56 GMT 2020

An update to this, I resorted to nuking and then re-installing Cygwin from scratch, and the problem STILL persists. This seems to suggest that something is wrong with Windows itself that is responsible for Cygwin no longer being able to see the the drive letters that partitions are mounted at, but what that something could be I have no idea anymore.
________________________________
From: Hashim Aziz <hashaziz@hotmail.com>
Sent: 03 March 2020 4:32 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: cat /proc/partitions shows only devices, not partitions

Yes, this was what I expected you meant by elevated shell. I tried that earlier and got no luck (though I tried the link to the Cygwin terminal in my start menu
not a desktop shortcut), and I just tried again after attempting several permissions fixes but still no luck.

The permissions fixed I tried were:

- Right-clicking and deselecting Read-Only on the cygwin64 folder
- Resetting permissions with the CMD command: icacls c:\cygwin64 /reset /t /l /c
- Taking control of the Cygwin folder with the following command (itself run from an elevated window):

$ chown $USER /* -v
ownership of '/bin' retained as Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/cygdrive': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/cygdrive' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin.bat': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin.bat' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin.ico': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin.ico' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico' from Hashim to Hashim
ownership of '/dev' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/etc' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/home' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/lib' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/opt' retained as Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/proc': Operation not permitted
failed to change ownership of '/proc' from Hashim to Hashim
ownership of '/sbin' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/srv' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/tmp' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/usr' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/var' retained as Hashim

Whether the above output is normal or not I'm unsure.