[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST: Cygwin 3.0.0-0.1

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Wed Jan 30 11:44:00 GMT 2019

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I uploaded a new Cygwin test release 3.0.0-0.1

> What's new:
> -----------

> - Support for case sensitive directories.  mkdir(2) automatically
>    creates directories within the Cygwin installation dir as case
>    sensitive now.
>
>    This feature requires Windows 10 1803 or later and WSL installed!

Before enabling WSL and relying on this new feature, users should check
their backup tool. Some tools fail if a directory contains names which
differ only in letter case. I don't know whether this may also happen if
a case sensitive directory simply exists.

At least Windows' own imaging tool dism.exe is affected. It is used for
example by c't-WIMage (https://heise.de/-3863074, German). This cmd
script creates compact incremental backups of the system partition in
install.wim files. Depending on the version of dism.exe, the failure
occurs during image creation or (even worse) during restore.

I have also seen a report that some Paragon imaging tool is affected.

Regards,
Christian