[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST: Cygwin 3.0.0-0.1

Wed Jan 30 13:18:00 GMT 2019

On Jan 30 12:43, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I uploaded a new Cygwin test release 3.0.0-0.1

> > What's new:
> > -----------

> > - Support for case sensitive directories.  mkdir(2) automatically
> >    creates directories within the Cygwin installation dir as case
> >    sensitive now.
> >
> >    This feature requires Windows 10 1803 or later and WSL installed!
>
> Before enabling WSL and relying on this new feature, users should check
> their backup tool. Some tools fail if a directory contains names which
> differ only in letter case. I don't know whether this may also happen if a
> case sensitive directory simply exists.
>
> At least Windows' own imaging tool dism.exe is affected. It is used for
> example by c't-WIMage (https://heise.de/-3863074, German). This cmd script
> creates compact incremental backups of the system partition in install.wim
> files. Depending on the version of dism.exe, the failure occurs during image
> creation or (even worse) during restore.
>
> I have also seen a report that some Paragon imaging tool is affected.

Good point.  To expand a bit on the above text:

To reduce side-effects, case-sensitive subdirs are *only* created with
the Cygwin installation directory.  Outside, on the rest of the system,
Cygwin won't do that and just rely on the standard case-sensitivity
settings per

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

Which reminds me... I guess I have to tweak the documentation.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer