Odd, is it not? mkdir 'e:\' cannot be undone by rmdir 'e:\' ...

Tue Aug 27 20:58:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-08-27 11:54, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> mkdir(2) has some special code from 2009 which drops trailing
>> {back}slashes to perform a bordercase in mkdir Linux-compatible.
>> This code snippet doesn't exist in rmdir(2).
>
> While we're discussing oddities, creating symbolic links in the virtual
> /dev directory still works and those links show up in the real
> (underlying) Windows directory as well.  This is why the Bash
> postinstall still works and I'm not sure if it should do that the way
> it's written.

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices
lists the process devs, "udevs", and NT mappings, and specifies that the /dev
directory is real to allow symlinks like cdrom/dvdrw -> sr0/scd0 and
gps0/pps0/gpspps0 -> ttyS0.

I notice /dev/kmsg documented but no longer appears, but /dev/log[=] exists if
syslog-ng is running; and /dev/pipe and /dev/fifo are mentioned but don't exist.