More on Win7 update messing up HOME

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Fri Aug 16 10:50:00 GMT 2019

Greetings, David Karr!

> I wish I could get my own messages on this list, so I could add more
> information to my first note.

Just reply to your own initial message. Or better yet, subscribe.

> Running the installer again made no difference.  It still thinks my HOME is
> "/".

Do you have %HOME% variable set in your user environment?
Do you have %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% variables defined to something unsettling?

> I don't know what environment variables are set or inspected by cygwin.  I
> see that the "USERNAME" variable seems to have my expected value.

> I tried running "mkpasswd -d" and grepping for my userid, and it was there
> (along with many others).

> I can "fix" the environment in the mintty shell by setting HOME to
> "/home/<myuid>" and then sourcing my .bashrc and .bash_profile. That
> doesn't help my Emacs desktop shortcut, which uses "run2".

> I noticed that when I do an "ls -lt" in my homedir, instead of the owner
> and group of files being my simple uid, it's something like
> "<MYDOMAIN>+User(1944941)" and "2993517" (group and user, respectively, I
> believe).

Please remove any /etc/{group,passwd} files and try again.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...