nsswitch.conf: files vs. db_enum interaction

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:45:00 GMT 2018

Am 26.09.2018 um 06:13 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2018-09-25 06:30, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> I just noticed something that I think is an oddity. Or a possible improvement.
>> If you set your nsswitch.conf to, say;
>> passwd: db
>> db_enum: cache builtin local files
>> The accounts listed in /etc/passwd aren't looked up.
>> I understand that it's a documented behavior, but it looks... odd to me.
>
>  From the UG they should be looked up and may appear more than once if you
> specify say "files" in an entry and also a db_... entry.
> Did you test with "getent passwd"? I get SYSTEM and NT SERVICE repeated.
> I get a comprehensive account list with mkpasswd.
> I have W10 rs4_release/6.3/10.0/17134.286/1803, Cygwin 64 2.11.1, and default
> nsswitch.

on W10 Home I see only double SYSTEM on both "getent passwd" and
"getent group"

However "getent passwd" is not reporting local user, cyg_server, sshd,
guest that instead are reported by "mkpasswd"

---