Change to passwd in cygwin-1.7.10-1 breaks ssh-host-config

Thu Feb 23 01:46:00 GMT 2012

On 2/22/2012 8:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 2/22/2012 4:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> If you're trying for consistency across the board, the prev button is the
>> closest you're going to get. If you want to back down a package or few, go
>> to the package list and toggle through the available options until you
>> find the previous version. I'd recommend this.
> I don't think you understand what I mean. First off I don't see a "prev
> button". At the top I see toggles that say Keep, Cur and Exp. Did you mean
> Keep? I don't think so.
>
> For individual lines there is a "New" column and I'm familiar with the
> cycling behavior between things like Keep, Uninstall, Reinstall, Skip and
> current and older version numbers. But this is on a by package basis. What
> I'm asking for is a button or way to say "Oh this is 1.7.10. I want all of
> the Cygwin things that were associated with 1.7.9. Toggle all of the
> packages back to their versions that were released when 1.7.9 was released".
> Maybe such a beast doesn't exist...

Yup, that's essentially the heart of it.

>> You're still very likely better off at least trying the snapshot so that
>> you and the rest of us know that the issue is resolved and moving forward
>> is a viable possibility. After that, if you want to try to backup to a
>> previous version, you can do that with some confidence in the future. :-)
> But I didn't hit this problem. Stated differently, when I ran
> ssh-host-config months ago it worked just fine.

Sure.  And then things changed.

> I guess I could play around going to a snapshot and seeing if
> ssh-host-config works (or perhaps just change the passwd -v to passwd -V in
> the one script) but I'm trying to establish a known set of working Cygwin
> environment right now.

That's fine.  I'd recommend either grabbing a new snapshot or installing
the test version of csih.  Either is supposed to fix the problem.  And
either is better by most measures than trying to back up or make edits
locally.

--
Larry