Change to passwd in cygwin-1.7.10-1 breaks ssh-host-config

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Feb 23 04:45:00 GMT 2012

On 02/22/2012 05:46 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 2/22/2012 8:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 2/22/2012 4:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> If you're trying for consistency across the board, the prev button
>>> is the
>>> closest you're going to get. If you want to back down a package or
>>> few, go
>>> to the package list and toggle through the available options until you
>>> find the previous version. I'd recommend this.
>> I don't think you understand what I mean. First off I don't see a "prev
>> button". At the top I see toggles that say Keep, Cur and Exp. Did you
>> mean
>> Keep? I don't think so.
>>
>> For individual lines there is a "New" column and I'm familiar with the
>> cycling behavior between things like Keep, Uninstall, Reinstall, Skip
>> and
>> current and older version numbers. But this is on a by package basis.
>> What
>> I'm asking for is a button or way to say "Oh this is 1.7.10. I want
>> all of
>> the Cygwin things that were associated with 1.7.9. Toggle all of the
>> packages back to their versions that were released when 1.7.9 was
>> released".
>> Maybe such a beast doesn't exist...
>
> Yup, that's essentially the heart of it.
So I said "Maybe it's this or maybe it's that" and you responded with
essentially "yes". Thanks.
>>> You're still very likely better off at least trying the snapshot so
>>> that
>>> you and the rest of us know that the issue is resolved and moving
>>> forward
>>> is a viable possibility. After that, if you want to try to backup to a
>>> previous version, you can do that with some confidence in the
>>> future. :-)
>> But I didn't hit this problem. Stated differently, when I ran
>> ssh-host-config months ago it worked just fine.
> Sure.  And then things changed.
Actually, you normally only run ssh-host-config once so while things
might have changed normally I would not see nor care about them. It's
because I'm trying to set up a base environment for my client that I've
stumbled into this issue.
>> I guess I could play around going to a snapshot and seeing if
>> ssh-host-config works (or perhaps just change the passwd -v to passwd
>> -V in
>> the one script) but I'm trying to establish a known set of working
>> Cygwin
>> environment right now.
>
> That's fine.  I'd recommend either grabbing a new snapshot or installing
> the test version of csih.  Either is supposed to fix the problem.  And
> either is better by most measures than trying to back up or make edits
> locally.
Actually I believe I am capable of changing a "-v" -> "-V". I've been
known to successfully accomplish such difficult feats before! Even with
backups! ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation.