ssh-host-config hanging

Nick White maillist@amtld.com
Fri Jun 19 17:46:00 GMT 2009

I'm setting up OpenSSH on Win2008 x64. I've done this same process numerous
times on other Windows x86 servers with no problems. First, I install cygwin
with OpenSSH. Start the bash shell, and run:

chmod +rw /etc/passwd
chmod +rw /etc/group
chmod 755 /var

Then, I start the ssh-host-config program. Whenever it gets to the question
"Enter the value of CYGWIN for the daemon: []" it locks up. Not sure where
to go from here. Thanks for your help. Below is the output:

$ ssh-host-config
*** Info: Generating /etc/ssh_host_key
*** Info: Generating /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
*** Info: Generating /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
*** Info: Creating default /etc/ssh_config file
*** Info: Creating default /etc/sshd_config file
*** Info: Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
*** Info: However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
*** Info: For more info on privilege separation read
/usr/share/doc/openssh/READ
ME.privsep.
*** Query: Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
*** Info: Updating /etc/sshd_config file

*** Warning: The following functions require administrator privileges!

*** Query: Do you want to install sshd as a service? <I type yes here, but
see no output!>
*** Query: (Say "no" if it is already installed as a service) (yes/no) ***
Query
: Enter the value of CYGWIN for the daemon: []