Implementing aio_* and lio_* (async i/o) on Cygwin

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Thu Dec 14 05:14:00 GMT 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 12 22:48, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Hi Corinna,
>> [...]
>> Right now I have a patch to implement sigtimedwait() since it's similar to
>> the already implemented sigwait() and sigwaitinfo().
>
> Sorry for skipping over everything else, but that's really cool!

Thanks :), I needed it for the userspace aio_suspend() and lio_listio().

>> I also have a patch
>> that extends support for getting and setting cygthread and pthread names via
>> cygwin_external().  I'll submit these two patches shortly.
>
> That sounds a bit weird.  Why would you want to set cygthread names
> via cygwin_external?  Those are not exposed to userspace.
>
> And getting and setting pthread names is already implemented via
> the Linux-like calls pthread_getname_np / pthread_setname_np...

The thread name patch to cygwin_internal() [sic] is for the benefit of
strace, the forthcoming cygmon, and any other utility that might want to
display thread names of some other process.  The pthread part of the patch
does use those functions you mentioned; the cygthread part uses the
existing cygthread::name() and a new ::setname() I supply.

..mark