cygwin patch&test workflow? [Re: cygwin does not compile]

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Oct 19 13:23:00 GMT 2009

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>
>> OK, this time I actually removed cygwin17/bin/cygwin1.dll, then
>> rebooted, so no cygwin 1.7 process could be existing. Then I copied
>> the previously compiled cygwin0.dll to cygwin17/bin/cygwin1.dll, and
>> cygwin does *not* start. This is quite demotivating, honestly. No
>> howto available anywhere?
>>

> Wrong file. The cygwin build process is somewhat odd: cygwin0.dll is
> 'just like' cygwin1.dll except...it isn't.  You want to copy
> new-cygwin1.dll to /bin/cygwin1.dll.

The two files are bit-wise identical, so it should not matter.

> Don't forget also to copy cygwin1.dbg to /bin/ as well; you'll need it
> if you want to debug inside the new dll.

Since the new dll isn't even going to start, I can't debug inside it...
but see attempts below.

> I've been developing a helper script for cygwin kernel developers that
> ought to do almost everything you need.  It's still in a fairly rough
> state, but I'll post it over if there's demand.

Sure.

Dave Korn wrote:
> Thomas Wolff wrote
>> > OK, this time I actually removed cygwin17/bin/cygwin1.dll, then
>> > rebooted, so no cygwin 1.7 process could be existing. Then I copied the
>> > previously compiled cygwin0.dll to cygwin17/bin/cygwin1.dll, and cygwin
>> > does *not* start.
>> > This is quite demotivating, honestly. No howto available anywhere?
>>
>   Well, that usually works, and it ought to be working for you now.  If it
> doesn't start up, you've probably run into a real bug; this is certainly the
> point at which I'd start trying to debug it.
>
>   When the dll is basically not working, you can use mingw gdb to try and see
> what's going on; you're presumably suffering some sort of crash in early startup.

Using cygwin 1.5 gdb with cygwin 1.7 bash I get this after a while:
Program exited with code 030000000005.
Since I'm not experienced with gdb, I don't know what else to provide.

>   Other things to try might be seeing if the dll built without
> --enable-debugging also fails,
Yes, I tried it on another PC, where I just compiled the unmodified
cygwin 1.7.0-62 sources without --enable-debugging, same effect.

>  and whether straceing sheds any light on the
> problem.
Since cygwin 1.7 (self-compiled) doesn't start, I tried cygwin 1.5
strace, invoking cygwin 1.7 bash (with --login -i).
This *did* work, so I don't think there's diagnostic value in it. If you
yet want to see the 3.7 MB strace log (0.5 MB compressed),
I could send it by mail to you, OK?

Thomas