trailing spaces in 1.7.0

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Mon May 12 18:58:00 GMT 2008

According to Corinna Vinschen on 5/10/2008 1:30 PM:

> So, when you debug this, you won't see valid trailing ASCII chars,
> but very likely a question mark as replacement char instead.

I still don't know why coreutils compiled under 1.5.x fails when run under
1.7.0, but that's probably irrelevant, as I am now focusing on building
coreutils-1.11 under 1.7.0.  I just verified that the 1.7.0 image, using
openat() and friends, has no problem with "rm -Rf 'tdir '".

However, there definitely is a bug:

$ mkdir 'tdir '

creates 'tdir\uf020', but.

$ mkdir 'tdir /'

creates 'tdir ', and all subsequent attempts to stat() or open() "tdir "
fail with ENOENT.  It took 'rmdir tdir~1', and relying on the DOS 8.3
short name, to get rid of it.  So, the code that munges trailing spaces
and dots needs to strip trailing slashes before doing the munging.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net