Known DLLS (Was: Mo Dejong's install problems)

Parker, Ron rdparker@butlermfg.com
Fri Mar 31 11:27:00 GMT 2000

<snip>

> A long time ago, I added Cygwin dll to the "Known DLLs" list,
> but I don't
> remember if I saw any significant improvements.

<snip>

FWIW, Microsoft added a new "feature" to "Known DLLs" with Windows 2000. If
a file is listed as a "Known DLL" nothing may replace it short of an
operating system service pack. If you try replacing it, success will be
reported but nothing will be changed. Microsoft will re-replace it with a
cached copy that you cannot modify. IMO, this was done to prevent something
like Windows 2000-lite, once and forever proving that IE is a necessary part
of the OS. I also love having two copies of 2000+ files on my machine.