problem with fork/exec in Cygwin DLL called from non-Cygwin E XE

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Thu Mar 2 11:05:00 GMT 2000

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> No, not at all.  I don't want to add to the current ugly dynamic DLL
> handling code though.  It seems incredibly complicated (to me) for
> something that AFAICT should be relatively simple.
>
> Both Mumit and I have banged on the code but neither of us have been
> brave enough to streamline or simplify it.

The last time we went through this code, the consensus (then) was that we
won't be able to support subprocess handling via fork/exec in Cygwin DLLs
that are dynamically loaded, which is the case when it's loaded via
Excel. Note that this non-working set includes exec* family as well, and
what works is the spawn* family of routines, which can replace *some*
instances of fork/exec pair.

Regards,
Mumit

ps: I'd love to be proven grossly wrong in this case!