problem with fork/exec in Cygwin DLL called from non-Cygwin E XE

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Thu Mar 2 10:33:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 06:26:00PM -0000, Fifer, Eric wrote:
>"Chris Faylor" writes:
>>Since fork/exec are not aware of LoadLibrary calls, I am surprised that you
>>would see any success anywhere.  dlopen() may work better.
>
>I was using LoadLibrary in an attempt to emulate whatever
>Excel is doing.  The real goal is to be able to use
>fork/exec/etc from Cygwin-capable DLLs called from Excel.

I don't see how you can ever do something like that.  fork, at least, relies
on being called when a process is starting up.

>>It doesn't know about
>>your use of LoadLibrary so it doesn't duplicate it.  Then, the code tries
>>jump into func() which doesn't exist.
>
>Hmm ...
>
>Do you think adding a cygwin_record_dll() hook would be
>too ugly?

No, not at all.  I don't want to add to the current ugly dynamic DLL
handling code though.  It seems incredibly complicated (to me) for
something that AFAICT should be relatively simple.

Both Mumit and I have banged on the code but neither of us have been
brave enough to streamline or simplify it.