FS layout issues for v1.1 (eg., /bin and /usr/bin)

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 29 12:45:00 GMT 2000

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:43:21AM -0600, Parker, Ron wrote:
-8<-
> >What would be the side effects of using matched mounts instead of symlinks?
> >
> >For, example
> >	mount -b C:\\cygwin /
> >	mkdir /usr/bin
> >	mount -b C:\\bin /usr/bin
> >
> >or,
> >	mount -b C:\\cygwin /
> >	mkdir /bin
> >	mount -b C:\\usr\\bin /bin
>
> There are no side effects.  The biggest problem is "user confusion".  It's
> pretty
> obvious what's going on when you do a "ls -l /usr".  It's not so obvious when
> you are using mounts.
>
> Someone mentioned that symlinks might be slow on network drives.  I'm not
> worried
> about that.  The problem is that symlinks *may not work* on network drives.
>
> That may blow the symlink idea out of the water, unfortunately.

So your suggestion here is to use the mount and not use the symlink because
will not work for everyone where the mount method will.  I agree that this will
be more confusing to those unfamiliar with Cygwin; but then the mount process
always is.  This way they'll at least have a working example of what mount is
for.

I suggest /usr/bin as the real directory and /bin as the "paired" directory.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__