howto crosscompile a source

Josh Parsons josh.parsons@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu Sep 21 23:32:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 21 September 2006 08:41, eWobbuh wrote:

>> i m very new to crosscompiling (and linux ;) )..

>   Well, with most autotoolized software, if you want to *cross* compile it to
> a different target, you specify "--target=<target-triplet>" as an argument to
> configure, where <target-triplet> matches your compiler's target,...

eWobbuh, be aware though that many popular free software packages (even
autotooled ones) will not successfully cross-compile without extensive
patching.  There are a lot of package maintainers out there who don't
care about cross-compilation, or don't know how to use autotools to
allow for it (abuse of AC_TRY_RUN, for example, is widespread).

You would also be well advised to look at using a build system such as
openembedded if you want to cross-compile standard free software
packages without hitches.  Even if you don't use oe to do your
cross-compilation, its package metadata is a good guide to the gotchas
associated with cross-compiling any particular package, and it includes
patches that you are likely to need.

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department