H8 targets

Don Yuniskis dgy@rtd.com
Fri Feb 21 18:46:00 GMT 1997

It seems that Doug Evans said:
>    From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
>    >    From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
>    >        I'm looking for any pointers folks might have wrt
>    >    building cross tools for H8 targets.  I've been stumbling
>    >    through the binutils (2.7) build trying variations
>    >    of "h8300" targets (e.g., h8300, h8300-coff, etc.)
>    >    and seem to always catch *some* sort of problem in the
>    >    configure or build stages.
>    >
>    > I know I've tested the examples in the FAQ for h8300-coff.
>
> Oops.  When I said h8300-coff I meant to say h8300-hms.

Heh heh heh... a little bit of a difference there!  :>

> For some pieces it doesn't matter.  Random searching showed
> newlib checks for h8300-*-hms*.
>
>    Was this recently (i.e. 2.7 binutils -- not the 2.6 binutils
>    referenced in the FAQ)?
>
> Can't remember.  I'll give it a try to see what happens (with h8300-hms).

h8300-hms builds OK (I haven't tested any of the routines yet, though).
h8300-coff falls down since ld gets passed "DEFAULT_EMULATION=h8300-unknown".
I'll poke around in the configure.tgt script and see if rewriting the
*-*-coff rule can help me through this (though there's enough BFM
in the configure scripts that I wouldn't know if this would be the
*right* solution...)

Thanks!
--don