H8 targets

Doug Evans dje@cygnus.com
Tue Feb 25 08:35:00 GMT 1997

   From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
   Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:42:36 -0700 (MST)

   > Oops.  When I said h8300-coff I meant to say h8300-hms.

   Heh heh heh... a little bit of a difference there!  :>

The only technical difference that I know of is that
building h8300-hms will include some system call support
[the simulator supports a few].  See newlib/libc/sys/h8300hms.

h8300-hms uses the coff file format.

   >    Was this recently (i.e. 2.7 binutils -- not the 2.6 binutils
   >    referenced in the FAQ)?
   >
   > Can't remember.  I'll give it a try to see what happens (with h8300-hms).

   h8300-hms builds OK (I haven't tested any of the routines yet, though).

It built ok for me to.

   h8300-coff falls down since ld gets passed "DEFAULT_EMULATION=h8300-unknown".
   I'll poke around in the configure.tgt script and see if rewriting the
   *-*-coff rule can help me through this (though there's enough BFM
   in the configure scripts that I wouldn't know if this would be the
   *right* solution...)

Some configure scripts somewhere must need some tweaking.
Feel free to submit any patches to bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu
[It's not for me to say whether they'll be added, but that's
the proper place to send them.]