GNU Binutils 2.41 release
Sun Jul 30 14:57:12 GMT 2023
We are pleased to announce that version 2.41 of the GNU Binutils project
sources have been released and are now available for download at:
As an experiment these tarballs were made with the new "-r <date>"
option supported by the src-release.sh script. This attempts to make
reproducible tarballs by sorting the files and passing the
"--mtime=<date>" option to tar. The date used for these tarballs was
obtained by running:
git log -1 --format=%cd --date=format:%F bfd/version.m4
This release contains numerous bug fixes, and also the
following new features:
In the assembler:
* Add support for Intel FRED instructions.
* Add support for Intel LKGS instructions.
* Add support for Intel AMX-COMPLEX instructions.
* Add SME2 support to the AArch64 port.
* A new .insn directive is recognized by x86 gas.
* Add support for LoongArch LSX instructions.
* Add support for LoongArch LASX instructions.
* Add support for LoongArch LVZ instructions.
* Add support for LoongArch LBT instructions.
* Initial LoongArch support for linker relaxation has been added.
* Deprecate the LoongArch register aliases $v0, $v1, $x, $fv0 and $fv1.
In the linker:
* The linker now accepts a command line option of --remap-inputs
<PATTERN>=<FILE> to relace any input file that matches <PATTERN> with
<FILE>. In addition the option --remap-inputs-file=<FILE> can be used to
specify a file containing any number of these remapping directives.
* The linker command line option --print-map-locals can be used to include
local symbols in a linker map. (ELF targets only).
* For most ELF based targets, if the --enable-linker-version option is used
then the version of the linker will be inserted as a string into the .comment
* The linker script syntax has a new command for output sections: ASCIZ "string"
This will insert a zero-terminated string at the current location.
* Add command-line option, -z nosectionheader, to omit ELF section
In the other binary tools:
* The MIPS port now supports the Sony Interactive Entertainment Allegrex
processor, used with the PlayStation Portable, which implements the MIPS
II ISA along with a single-precision FPU and a few implementation-specific
* Objdump's --private option can now be used on PE format files to display the
fields in the file header and section headers.
* New versioned release of libsframe: libsframe.so.1. This release introduces
versioned symbols with version node name LIBSFRAME_1.0. This release also
updates the ABI in an incompatible way: this includes removal of
sframe_get_funcdesc_with_addr API, change in the behavior of
sframe_fre_get_ra_offset and sframe_fre_get_fp_offset APIs.
* SFrame Version 2 is now the default (and only) format version supported by
gas, ld, readelf and objdump.
* Add command-line option, --strip-section-headers, to objcopy and strip to
remove ELF section header from ELF file.
* The RISC-V port now supports the following new standard extensions:
- Zicond (conditional zero instructions)
- Zfa (additional floating-point instructions)
- Zvbb, Zvbc, Zvkg, Zvkned, Zvknh[ab], Zvksed, Zvksh, Zvkn, Zvknc, Zvkng,
Zvks, Zvksc, Zvkg, Zvkt (vector crypto instructions)
* The RISC-V port now supports the following vendor-defined extensions:
* The LoongArch port now supports the following extensions:
- LSX (Loongson SIMD eXtension; 128-bit vectors)
- LASX (Loongson Advanced SIMD eXtension; 256-bit vectors)
- LVZ (Loongson Virtualization extension)
- LBT (Loongson Binary Translation extension)
* The LoongArch disassembly output received the following tweaks:
- Colored output is now supported.
- Some pseudo-instructions are now shown in place of the canonical forms,
where semantics are equivalent. A disassembler option '-M no-aliases' is
added to disable the new behavior.
- Signed immediates are no longer printed with their hex representation.
- Unrecognized instruction words are now shown with '.word'.
For more information see:
Our thanks go out to all of the binutils contributors, past and
present, for helping to make this release possible.
GNU Binutils Chief Maintainer
More information about the Binutils