Cross-compilation related bug

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 03:05:07 GMT 2022

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 09:40:35PM +0300, Sim Tov via Binutils wrote:
> If you don't have a Windows machine to install MSYS2:
>
> https://www.msys2.org/
>
> We would be more than happy to follow your instructions in a live
> session (e.g. via IRC, etc) and provide you
> with the outputs, logs, screenshots and screen sharing...

I'm sorry, the reality is that trying to debug remotely is extremely
time consuming and frustrating for everyone involved.

> > But maybe one, who is familiar with the internals of binutils, can
> > guess what is wrong, being provided with the file names and lines:
> >
> > binutils-gdb/bfd/cofflink.c:2279
> > binutils-gdb/bfd/coff-x86_64.c:696

All that says to me is "something went wrong", likely long before
the assertions triggered.

If you expect someone to look at your bug, you need to package up a
set of object files so that someone can reproduce the problem by
running the linker on an entirely different machine.  Note that the
inputs to the linker are needed, not source files.  We don't want to
and can't debug your compiler for you..  That means *all* the inputs
to ld, so system libraries too.  Please do test that what you package
up is a complete testcase, by running a cross-linker on a non-windows
machine.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM