GNU Binutils 2.38 has been released

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx@openadk.org
Mon Feb 14 10:58:52 GMT 2022

Hi Nick,
Nick Clifton via Binutils wrote,

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We are pleased to announce that version 2.38 of the GNU Binutils project
> sources have been released and are now available for download at:
>
>   https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils
>   https://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/releases/

I am having problems with following commit
aed44286efa8ae8717a77d94b51ac3614e2ca6dc.

When trying to build the Linux kernel I get a lot of:
./arch/riscv/include/asm/irqflags.h:34: Error: unrecognized opcode
`csrrc s2,0x100,2'
./arch/riscv/include/asm/irqflags.h:52: Error: unrecognized opcode
`csrs 0x100,s2'

The kernel is compiled with gcc 11.2 and  -mabi=lp64 -march=rv64ima.

When I revert the commit, everything is fine.

What can we do about it?

best regards
 Waldemar