Autogenerate ChangeLog commits (was: [committed] arm:...)

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Thu May 13 02:41:06 GMT 2021

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:54:25AM +0100, Richard Earnshaw via Binutils wrote:
> On 11/05/2021 21:05, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > On the more serious side, how about adopting the wonderful gcc
> > commit-hook and scripts that takes care of this, already?
>
> My vote would be for consistency with the other repos; there's nothing worse
> than having subtly different rules for each project.
>
> I can put up with things not being 100% optimal if they are consistent.  But
> not 100% optimal and inconsistent is just a nightmare.

I agree, and would be happy to follow the gcc lead here.  I'm sure
there will be things that might be annoying on some occasions.  For
example, the gcc commit hook insistence that all files changed be
mentioned in the changelog (or there be no changelog entry).  But that
sort of checking is often a good thing, and I'm willing to put up with
the times it is annoying.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM