binutils 2.34 on NixOS

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 12:37:53 GMT 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 07:59:33PM -0700, Bernardo Meurer wrote:
> On 4/23/20 7:49 PM, Bernardo Meurer wrote:
> > I've been trying to get binutils 2.34 on nixpkgs so that those on
> > NixOS can benefit from it. The PR[1] has been open since January, for
> > version 2.33.1, and I've since attempted to upgrade to 2.34 also
> > without success. NixOS is currently on 2.31.1.
> >
> > While binutils 2.34 (and 2.33.1) will build fine the coreutils build
> > (8.32 or 8.31) fails three tests with the new binutils, namely:

I doubt very much this is anything to do with upstream binutils, since
NixOS appears to be another Linux distro.  Out of curiousity I did
build coreutils-8.32 on Ubuntu-18.04 using a fairly bleeding edge
binutils, and did not run into any of the failures you are seeing.

Is it possible these problems are due to local patches to binutils?

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM