What does unexpected reloc type 0x03 mean?

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Wed May 22 13:01:00 GMT 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 06:10:04AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 5:47 AM Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 05:27:58AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > > On ARM-32 I'm experiencing a failure when running self tests after a
> > > build. The error is:
> > >
> > >     unexpected reloc type 0x03
> > >
> > > I see the same error with 'LD_DEBUG=all ./cryptest v', but I still
> > > don't know what it means.
> >
> > In this particular case it means you have a dynamic R_ARM_REL32
> > relocation, a type that ld.so is not prepared to relocate.
>
> Thanks Alan.
>
> Searching for "dynamic R_ARM_REL32" "ld.so" finds two results. One is
> the Linux ld.so man page, and the other is the Solaris man page.
> Neither are very helpful.
>
> What is the fix?

Find the offending dynamic relocation and trace it back to the source
that generated it.  My guess is you'll find some non-PIC assembly or a
C/C++ file that wasn't compiled with -fPIC.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM