binutils/gcc build problem on aarch64 (section size is larger tha

Steve Ellcey sellcey@marvell.com
Mon Jul 1 16:32:00 GMT 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 08:40 -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> I am looking at a bug that is preventing me from building the latest
> toolchain with top-of-tree binutils, gcc, and glibc.  I am building
> the latest binutils first, then I build a ToT (partial) gcc using
> that
> binutils (and the installed GCC 7).  When building this GCC with the
> latest binutils I get this error:
>
> /home/sellcey/build-gcc/install/bin/ld: error: /usr/lib/gcc/aarch64-
> linux-gnu/7/../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/crt1.o(.plt) section size
> (0x7a0 bytes) is larger than file size (0x750 bytes)
> /home/sellcey/build-gcc/install/bin/ld: can not size stub section:
> memory exhausted
>
> Has anyone else run into this error?  I am doing a binary search
> on exactly when it started, if I use one-week old binutils I do not
> have this problem.
>
> This is a native build on aarch64 (ThunderX2).
>
> Steve Ellcey
> sellcey@marvell.com

I have tracked this down to the following checkin.  I can't add
anything to the PR 24708 bugzilla report right now because the
FSF system containing the binutils mailing lists and bugzilla
server seems to be down for maintainance.  Which means this email
probably won't get out until the system is back up either.

commit 7e56c51c7932cfdb178e9457011d09d53e98937b
Author: Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>
Date:   Fri Jun 28 15:30:43 2019 +0100

    Prevent attempts to allocate excessive amounts of memory when parsing corrupt ELF files.

            PR 24708
            * elf.c (_bfd_elf_slurp_version_tables): Check for an excessively
            large version reference section.
            * compress.c (bfd_get_full_section_contents): Check for an
            uncompressed section whose size is larger than the file size.