binutils/gcc build problem on aarch64 (section size is larger tha

Steve Ellcey sellcey@marvell.com
Mon Jul 1 15:41:00 GMT 2019

I am looking at a bug that is preventing me from building the latest
toolchain with top-of-tree binutils, gcc, and glibc.  I am building
the latest binutils first, then I build a ToT (partial) gcc using that
binutils (and the installed GCC 7).  When building this GCC with the
latest binutils I get this error:

/home/sellcey/build-gcc/install/bin/ld: error: /usr/lib/gcc/aarch64-linux-gnu/7/../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/crt1.o(.plt) section size (0x7a0 bytes) is larger than file size (0x750 bytes)
/home/sellcey/build-gcc/install/bin/ld: can not size stub section: memory exhausted

Has anyone else run into this error?  I am doing a binary search
on exactly when it started, if I use one-week old binutils I do not
have this problem.

This is a native build on aarch64 (ThunderX2).

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@marvell.com