Feature request: improved build-id generation

Andy Lutomirski luto@kernel.org
Thu Mar 15 17:01:00 GMT 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>>> I think Fedora should be able to ask its tool chain to insert the
>>> extra data rather than hacking it in after the fact.
>
> I'll just note that another way to insert data into a linked binary
> is to use a linker script fragment referenced from the command line.
> I doubt that this would be any better than creating a "magic .o" file,
> but it is worth knowing.
>

>>> Asking Fedora to use --defsym for this purpose is IMO a non-starter,
>
> I have to agree with Cary here - why is this idea a non-starter ?

I can imagine having every ELF file on Fedora define a symbol like
encodes the name and version of the package it came from would be
rather annoying.  If nothing else, it's entirely possible that two
different .so files in the same package would then define the same
symbol.  This would, if nothing else, be rather confusing IMO.  But
I'm not in charge of Fedora packaging.