[committed] RISC-V: Accept constant operands in la and lla

Palmer Dabbelt palmer@sifive.com
Fri Jun 22 16:54:00 GMT 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:17:09 PDT (-0700), sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de wrote:
> On 21/06/18 18:06, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
>>
>>> I try to add a documentation of "lla". See also:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/forum/#!topic/sw-dev/sDQWmHyzHi8
>>>

>> Thanks.  I suppose this should be documented in the GAS manual, though
>> we don't have any of the pseudos in there.  Do you mind adding a
>> section to
>>
>>    gas/doc/c-riscv.texi
>>
>> for pseduo ops that contains lla?  We can add the rest later...
>
> Should the GAS manual really duplicate the RISC-V manuals? I would only
> describe the command line options and add a links to the relevant RISC-V
> manuals.

I'm OK with that.

>> Additionally, we've been collecting all the standard interfaces in
>> RISC-V specific manuals.  Do you mind adding a bit here about lla (and
>> then modifying the la bit to include that it can take constants)
>>
>> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-asm-manual/blob/master/riscv-asm.md
>>
>> I also left a comment in the middle of the source about "lla
>> 0xFFFFFFFF" on RV64I, which I think should be supported.
>>
>> Thanks for the patch, and sorry for making so much more work :)
>
> My original plan was to add this lla documentation to:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual
>
> Why do you have two places for assembler documentation?

We're trying to separate the ISA constructs from toolchain constructs.  It's
the same reason we keep the ABI document separate from the ISA manual.  I guess
at this point it's really a RISC-V thing more than a binutils thing, so feel
free to open teh PR you were planning on and then we can talk about it in
RISC-V land.

Thanks!