[PATCH-RFC 0/1] readelf: Don't warn on non-zero sh_info for PROGBITS

Francois H. Theron francois.theron@netronome.com
Fri Jul 6 10:47:00 GMT 2018


I'd like to know if there is any reason to *not* make readelf accept
non-zero sh_info fields for PROGBITS sections, similar to NOBITS. I only
have one (cosmetic) reason for this change, which is the NFP target using
sh_info in both NOBITS and PROGBITS sections to describe memory types and
domains. Consequently, readelf section dumps produce a warning for each
PROGBITS section. I don't know if this is likely to be an issue for any
other target (I doubt it). The generic ELF ABI specification does not seem
to impose any rules on sh_info for PROGBITS sections.

Francois H. Theron (1):
  readelf: Don't warn on non-zero sh_info for PROGBITS

 binutils/ChangeLog | 3 +++
 binutils/readelf.c | 3 ++-
 2 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

-- 
2.17.0



More information about the Binutils mailing list