Three more days left before the 2.30 release...

H.J. Lu hjl.tools@gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:51:00 GMT 2018


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:56 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark, Hi H.J.,
>
>>> Mark - can you confirm/deny this.  If there is only one note in the section
>>> does the section alignment matter ?
>>
>> I believe binutils ld will not merge ELF NOTE sections or segments that
>> have different alignments now. But other tools might try to do that
>> since normal GNU ELF notes all use the same alignment (some might not
>> even have the alignment set), so they won't know they cannot. The
>> problem is that even if the notes might be in separate sections or
>> segments that code will assume it can read them all and seeing bogus
>> data in one they will most likely stop processing any others.
>
> OK - so H.J. - can you live with the alignment of the .note.gnu.property
> section is set to 4 bytes even for ELFCLASS64 objects ?  I know that this
> is not what you want, but if it is going to (potentially) break other tools

I don't believe it before Mark can show his claims with real examples.

> then I think that it would be a bad thing.
>

I really prefer not to do that.

-- 
H.J.



More information about the Binutils mailing list