Stupid question: linking with a symbol under a different name

Sasha Unknown sasha2048@gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 11:05:00 GMT 2016

Hello.

1. This is possible only with function. If it's a variable, I can't
create "wrapper variable" for it. (E.g. if symbol2 is "int" variable, I
of course can create foo.c with "int * const symbol1 = &symbol2", but
this won't match symbol1 convention from main.o, which expects symbol1
to be "int", not "int *".)

2. Even with function this gives some overhead (one additional call;
AFAIK, wrapper function won't be inlined in this case).

Thanks.

[Sorry for duplicate, first reply was accidentally sent to wrong address.]