Stupid question: linking with a symbol under a different name

Sasha Unknown sasha2048@gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:39:00 GMT 2016

Thank you for informative answer.

I know about "objcopy --redefine-sym", it can't  be applied here.

The fact is that in general main.o may need to be linked with several
*.so files. And these *.so files may have name conflicts (export
different symbols under the same name). That's actually the main reason
why linking with a symbols under different names seems to be must-have
feature.

For example:

     I'm given main.o (with unresolved symbols: symbolA, symbolB,
symbolC1, symbolC2, symbolD, symbolE).

     I'm given libused.o (with exported symbols: symbolA, symbolB,
symbolC).

     I'm given libsecond.o (with exported symbols: symbolC, symbolD,
symbolE).

     I'm given recipe:
       - map symbolA (from main.o) to symbolA (from libused.so) [names
coincide];
       - map symbolB (from main.o) to symbolB (from libused.so) [names
coincide];
       - map symbolC1 (from main.o) to symbolC (from libused.so) [names
differ];
       - map symbolC2 (from main.o) to symbolC (but from libsecond.so)
[names differ];
       - map symbolD (from main.o) to symbolD (from libsecond.so) [names
coincide];
       - map symbolE (from main.o) to symbolE (from libsecond.so) [names
coincide].
       [Note that libused.so and libsecond.so both export symbolC.]

So, applying "objcopy --redefine-sym" to main.o is possible, but it
doesn't solve name conflict and thus doesn't help here. While applying
"objcopy --redefine-sym" to *.so files isn't possible at all, because:
(1) it would be different shared library, while linking to original is
required; (2) objcopy doesn't work with dynamic symbols (it affects
output of "objdump -t", not "objdump -T").

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It could be very helpful if libused and
libsecond were static libraries (*.a), not shared (*.so). That's
actually the way I use to solve the same problem with static libraries.

[Sorry for duplicate, first reply was accidentally sent to wrong address.]