A Proposal to Move to Git

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 22 20:10:00 GMT 2013

> From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
> CC: Binutils Development <binutils@sourceware.org>
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:12:41 -0600
>
> I'd like to move gdb and binutils from CVS to Git.  I've done much of
> the preliminary work and I will do the remainder, including the
> inevitable follow-up bug-fixing.

I still *hate* git.  Hate it even more now that I've used it for a
project.  It gets in my way; it never does what I want, at least not
by default.  It's slow; updating a tree takes significantly more time
than with cvs as it insists that I stash my local changes first.  It's
buggy; I had it just sit there and spin forever on a git pull on
several occasions.  It encourages the annoying "send the gazillian
diffs in a series again, just because I've fixed a single spelling
mistake in one of them" behaviour.  But it seems I'm the only one in
the world who doesn't "git" it, so I'll shut up.

Except for one tiny question.  How much free space do I need to clone
the future gdb repo and do useful work with it?  Some of my machines
don't have a lot of free disk space.  Sparse checkouts don't really
work.  And it seems you can't do any real development from a shallow
clone.  So if the answer to the my question is that I need at least 1G
of disk space, then there is a problem.