bfd_get_relocated_section_contents on hppa and ia64

Camm Maguire camm@maguirefamily.org
Wed Apr 14 16:11:00 GMT 2010

Greetings!

Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:

>> On ia64, hppa, the relocation algorithm terminates in the error shown,
>> which I will try to detail on bugzilla.  I don't believe this is a
>> programming error, rather this routine was never written for these
>> cpu's because it is never used by the linker.  This is my
>> understanding only.
>
> Fair enough.  By the way are you aware that the readelf program has
> its own relocation processing code which is a lot simpler and might be
> more suitable for your application ?  (Currently this code is not
> exported in a library but that could be changed).

Had a look and it appears very clean.  To your knowledge, are there
any current platforms supporting open source software besides Windows
and Mac OSX which *do not* use elf?  I think the former is coff, but
in any case we have a "roll your own" reloc solution there.  Also some
darwin specific bfd modification code I mentioned earlier for Mac
OSX.  But it would appear the the many other non-elf bfd-supported
target formats are defacto legacy at present.  True?

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire			     		    camm@maguirefamily.org